Saturday, April 18, 2009

Compassion Sunday - Step Into My Life

Tomorrow I am giving a Compassion presentation at our church and I wanted to share my presentation with you.

I will begin with this short video.

In response to the Great Commission, Compassion International exists as an advocate for children, to release them from their spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enable them to become responsible and fulfilled Christian adults.

Compassion partners with local churches in 25 countries in the developing world and is currently helping more than 1 million children through their sponsorship program.

This ministry is unique in that it is child-focused. Many other organizations build schools, develop community centers or dig wells for the community and in doing so, believe their efforts will trickle down and benefit the children as well as the community. Compassion believes that the only way to overcome poverty is by meeting the individual needs of the child (spiritually, economically, socially and physically).

Why Children? They are the hardest hit by poverty and have the fewest resources available to them to change their circumstances.

Here are some staggering statistics:
*Nearly 27,000 children younger than 5 die each day, mainly from preventable causes.
*More than 400 million children have no access to safe drinking water
*More than 93 million school-age children do not attend school
*More than 15 million children worldwide have been orphaned by AIDS
*At least 120 million children are homeless

Compassion links individual children with caring sponsors who have the opportunity to support and encourage them to rise above poverty and become all they can be in Christ. Through letter writing and prayer, you can make a difference in both the child and their family’s lives.

I would like to read the final letter from my first sponsored child, Judith, from Kenya. It illustrates the impact of sponsorship on her life.

Dear Mrs. Jill Foley,
Receive precious greeting from me in Jesus name. I'm sorry and very sad when writing this letter to you because it is my last letter. In fact, I never imagined that our communication would come to an end. But if I look back into my life, I'm very much impressed and comforted of what good you have done in me. Your help has shown light in my life. I'm educated. I have also done a tailoring course and qualified. I never knew in my life I would have such kind of education compared to my family's poor standard of living.

Actually because of your love we're now living in a good shelter too. I completed my course and now I'm no longer in school. I feel I should start a business but finance is a problem to my plan.

I hope you will pray for me. Jill Foley, though we shall no more communicate, I will never forget you. I will keep on remembering you in my prayers because what you have done in my life is great. I and my family are fine. Everyone in my family says the house in which they lived reminds them of your love for them. May the Lord Jesus give you prolonged life. May you live to be remembered.

From your loving child, Judith.



Christ instructs us many, many times in Scripture to care for the poor.
*Proverbs 14:31 Whoever is kind to the needy honors God.
*Proverbs 31:8, 9 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves…defend the rights of the poor and needy.
*I John 3:18 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him.

For $32 a month, you can enable a child to participate in Compassion’s Child Development Sponsorship Program. Through this program that child will receive educational opportunities, health care, health-related instruction, supplemental nutrition, life-skills training and opportunities to hear and respond to the gospel.

Compassion is committed to financial integrity. They strive to put at least 80% of the $32 monthly fee directly into your child’s program. This past year that number was 83% with the other 17% going toward advertising and overhead.

Today I have 20 child packets with me – children that need sponsors. Won’t you sponsor a child today? In Matthew 25:40 Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” You have the opportunity to make an eternal difference today. Please stop by the Compassion table after the service and choose a child to sponsor.

Since you can't stop by my table personally, I thought I would post pictures of two of the children than need sponsors.

Surekha lives in India


Savali lives in Kenya


Will you become their sponsor?

7 comments:

  1. I love this post! Do you mind if I share Judith's letters in my Compassion Sundays the next two weeks? Powerful and sweet words there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Jill. I am also doing a Compassion Sunday at a church in my community tomorrow. Your presentation has greatly encouraged me.

    God bless,
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post I will be praying for you as you share and for the people to hear the heart of God.
    hugs
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such important work that can have such an impact on both the individual child and throughout all the sphere that the child exists in. I will be praying for your presentation tomorrow and you have reminded me of the importance of making sure that I give, as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, I don't know how someone can watch that video, read what you wrote, and still not support a child. Jesus loves the little children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just reading what you wrote makes me want to sponsor another child...especially reading that letter...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss Compassion Sunday. I did one with another person at my church years ago. We were only able to do it for the adult Sunday school group and at the time we were both still in high school! I think 3 children were sponsored that day. We only had about 8 packets. It was back when they were in those rust orange folders and the pictures were real photographs! Oooh the old days!

    ReplyDelete