Thursday, July 2, 2009

Random

Well, my last post brought quite the discussion, not only through the comments, but also into my email in box! Thanks for all your responses and insight. It is so interesting how differently we interpret messages. It just goes to show how different we are.

It's been a cool, rainy week here. We welcomed July with a whopping 46 degrees yesterday. The rain has been a slow, steady drizzle, but it's good. This area tends to be dry in the summer months. It has also been a good week to attempt potty training with Kayleigh.

I don't have any great pictures to share...unless you want to see Kayleigh sitting on her little throne (potty) so I thought I would share some insights I've learned about my future home state:

LOCAL QUIRKS PERTAINING TO OREGON...
1) Pronounced OR-uh-gun NOT or-eh-GONE

2) It is illegal to pump your own gas

3) The ocean is referred to as the COAST

4) Back East pertains to anywhere east of Denver, CO

5) There is a nickel deposit on cans, bottles AND (new in 2009) plastic water bottles. Oregon was the first state in the country to pass the bottle bill.

8 comments:

  1. Woah - illegal to pump your own gas?! Wow...I wonder why???

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Orygun thanks you.

    4) Orygun apologizes. (It's so true!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just threw #2 in there to see if we were paying attention, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK - I can't believe we were in Oregon at the same time! I also learned about the gas thing - ridiculous. Anyway - Portland was beautiful. My vote for place to live nearby it goes to Lake Oswego. It was so charming and pretty close to downtown!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting... does that mean they expect a tip every time they pump it for you (even though you would be breaking the law if you pumped it yourself)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. #2 is absolutely true and from what I understand, you don't tip...it's just a law! I don't mind at all! I like being waited on sometimes! I think pumping gas is one of my least favorite things to do. I'm always annoyed when my tank is on empty...especially on days when the weather isn't ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA! Sounds like a great law to me. I am the same way. I do not enjoy pumping gas in the first place - especially the fumes, but should the weather be cold or rainy (which is most of the time in the midwest)- then I am totally annoyed!
    I use to travel with an auction company and was in Bend, Ore-gun. Very beautiful and friendly place to spend a couple weeks.
    I watched your "controversial" video and I think there is much to be said about trying to fit a square into a round hole. If a child colors outside the box - the system can't deal with them. And, everyone is frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And don't forget that Oregon has no sales tax. It's like everything's on sale!

    ReplyDelete